Community, made up of Ergué-Gaberic, Guengat, Plogonnec and Quimper. The town centre was re-organised to facilitate access and open new roads. The Max Jacob theatre was built in 1904. Occupied by the Germans by, Quimper - though spared the bombardments - suffered hardships, arrests and deportations. The Duke exercised his power on the Duke's Estate, a district developing beyond the Steir river, to the west of the ramparts. Higher education developed with the opening of the Per Jakez Helias centre of West Brittany University (UBO) and the Asia Pacific Management School (isuga).